Enjoy this easy strawberry jalapeno margarita in less than five minutes. Made with fresh strawberries, fresh jalapenos and orange juice, this spicy margarita will not disappoint. Use up your leftover strawberries during strawberry season in this simple recipe.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Sweetened with Fresh Fruit - Unlike others, this margarita recipe uses only fresh fruit to sweeten this drink- no simple syrup, agave or maple syrup! The sweet strawberries balance the nice kick of the spicy jalapeno resulting in the ultimate fresh fruit margarita!
Simple Ingredients - All your need is your favorite tequila, muddled strawberries, muddled jalapeno slices, fresh orange juice + fresh lime juice (plus a splash of soda water) to make this cocktail! No triple sec or orange liqueur necessary! It is equal parts sweet + equal parts spicy!
Perfect for any occasion - There is no better way to welcome summer than with a good margarita during a happy hour on a summer Friday. However, this spicy margarita isn't just great for the summer - it is also perfect for taco Tuesday, cinco de mayo or after a long week.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Fresh Strawberries- This Strawberry Jalapeño Margarita is all about freshness! Strawberry fans rejoice because this cocktail is bursting with strawberry flavor! Fresh strawberries provide the absolute purest and best flavor, allowing the sweet juices of the berry to really shine. Frozen strawberries will water down the cocktail, so I do not suggest using them. IF you have any left over, make my virgin strawberry mojito!
- Jalapeno- To get the perfect jalapeno flavor, fresh, de-seeded jalapenos are needed. Make sure to wear gloves when cutting the jalapenos though - they are spicy! Oh, and if you like spicy food - try my jalapeno popper dip or my jalapeno peach salsa.
- Orange Juice- There is nothing like fresh squeeze orange juice to make your taste buds sing! I prefer to squeeze my own oranges, but you can also store bought 100% oranges juice.
- Fresh Lime Juice- Fresh lime juice is necessary for this strawberry margarita. Store bought lime juice is usually watered down some, so it is worth it to take the extra time squeezing. Don't forget to save a lime wedge or wheel for a garnish!
- Tequila- I like to use silver tequila, but you can use any you prefer!
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1- Juice the lime and orange. To make this on the rocks margarita, first juice the lime and orange juice and set the juice aside
Step 2- muddle strawberries + jalapeno. Cut the strawberries in halves or fourths and the jalapeno into thin slices. Then add the jalapeno and strawberries to a shaker glass or mason jar. Use a muddler or the back of a wooden smooth and with a downward twisting motion to release the juices. Muddle until the fruits are 75% crushed.
Step 3 - add the liquids. Add the lime juice, orange juice and tequila into the shaker or mason jar. Then add in about 1 cup of ice and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds.
Step 4 - pour. Add ice cubes into two glasses then pour the drink mix into both, filling them about half way. Then, fill to the top with plain club soda or seltzer + mix again.
If you prefer a salted rim, before adding water to the glasses, press the rims onto the fleshy side of the limes to wet them. Then, pour salt into a shallow bowl and dip the wet rims into the salt.
Because of the club soda, I do not recommend storing this Strawberry Jalapeño Margarita. It will become flat and not taste as crisp and refreshing. If you do need to store it, do so before adding the club soda and place it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 hours.
TIME SAVING HACKS
To save on time, pre-juice the limes and oranges. This will cut down on the extra minute or so it takes to juice them.
Absolutely. If you prefer a frozen spicy margarita, add all ingredients to a blender and add about 2 cups of ice. Blend for about 30-60 seconds.
This cocktail is pretty sweet on its own due to the fresh strawberries and orange juice, but if you prefer it an even sweeter cocktail, add about 1 tsp of agave nectar before shaking the drink.
Yes! If you are a spice lover, feel free to add more jalapeno into the shaker before muddling!
- Muddle the strawberries + jalapeno- While it may seem like a taunting step, muddling is the best way to release all of the juices in the fruits.
- Use fresh fruits! - Fresh fruit will provide the best overall flavor for this cocktail! Many of the time, pre-bought fruit juices are watered down. Always use fresh fruit when possible!
Spicy and Fresh Strawberry Jalapeño Margarita
- 3 oz tequila your choice
- 4 limes, juiced approx ½ cup
- 1 orange, juiced approx ½ cup
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into thin pieces approx 2 ½ tbsp
- 5-6 large strawberries, sliced in half or fourths approx a scant ½ cup
- 1 can Plain Club soda or Seltzer
- Juice the lime and orange and place the juice to the side.
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, muddle* the strawberries. Then, muddle your jalapenos. Muddle until both are 75% "mushed."
- Add in orange juice, lime juice, and tequila. Shake in the shaker or stir vigorously. Add in ice and shake again.
- Fill two glasses with ice then pour into the margarita evenly into both. Then, fill the glasses to the rim with plan club soda or seltzer.
- Option to garnish with extra fruit (strawberry, lime slices, orange slices or jalapenos).
Leave a Reply