Vegan Maple Bourbon Cupcakes may be one of my favorite cupcakes ever! They are soft, yet dense and very moist. The vanilla maple frosting pairs perfectly with them as well.
I made these cupcakes for Gabe's birthday. I was not sure what to make him because, although he loves peanut butter, I really did not want to make another peanut butter treat (we make PB cookies alllll the time!). So, it took me some time to figure it out, but finally it hit me - maple bourbon.
Gabe is a huge maple fan, especially since our first trip to Vermont when we stopped at a sugar house at Braggs Farm. I too love maple. My grandparents had a house in Vermont when I was younger, so maple basically runs in my veins. Pairing the bourbon with these was a no brainer because, if you know anything about us, you know we love bourbon.
Maple Bourbon Cupcake Ingredients
Bourbon. I used Vanilla Bourbon from Litchfield Distillery. I have also used Makers, and they have turned out just as well.
Maple Syrup. My maple syrup is also from Litchfield Distillery because I am that obsessed with it. You can use any maple syrup you'd like, but please make sure you look at the ingredients. There are a lot of syrups that are not true syrups (Aunt J's and Uncle B's for example). Any grade of maple syrup will work for this recipe, but I specifically used a darker syrup.
Flour. I used all purpose regular flour. I have not tested other flours in this recipe. If you do, please let me know.
Sugar. While I usually try to avoid too much sugar in a recipe, I was not trying to make this a "healthier" cupcake. This is a full enjoy life cupcake. I used sugar in the raw, but granulated sugar would be fine as well.
Plant Based Milk. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. If you do not mind the added sweetness, you can use regular vanilla almond milk. You may also use plain or any other plant based milk.
Vegan Butter. I used earth balance regular vegan butter for this, but any brand will do well!
Making the Mix.
These cupcakes have a nice taste of bourbon, but if you want to increase the flavor sub out 1 tbsp of milk for bourbon. I recommend trying the recipe first before kicking up the bourbon though, as there is a strong taste in these!
These recipe is super easy to assemble! It is basically mix wet, mix dry then combine! Always simple.
The frosting is relatively easy to make. You basically combine your butter, maple syrup, salt and powdered sugar. Getting it stiff enough so it will stand well is key. Be sure to be generous with your powdered sugar.
Finishing the Maple Bourbon Cupcakes.
Once your cupcake was cooled completely, cut a small chunk in the center then fill with frosting. Pipe on the frosting in any matter you'd like!
Craving More Sweets?
Check out my maple pecan donut recipe here.
Vegan Maple Bourbon Cupcakes
- 1.75 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ cup unsalted vegan butter room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla paste can sub extract
- 2 tbsp Maple butter not required but recommended
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch salt for taste
- Option to add a pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your cupcake tray with liners.
- Mix the lemon and almond milk, mix and allow to sit aside for 10 minutes.
- While waiting, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir.
- Once the milk and lemon has sat for 10 minutes, mix in all additional wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined.
- Scoop evenly (approx 1.5 heaping tbsp) into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until you are able to insert a toothpick and it comes out cleanly. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add all ingredients, other than powdered sugar, into a bowl and whisk vigorously until smooth. Then slowly add in powdered sugar until it is stiff. Frost!