Say hello to your new favorite toast. This creamy and luscious burrata toast is made with fresh lemon zest, juicy tomatoes and hot honey making every bite indulgent and satisfying. Have this vibrant and comforting toast ready in less than 8 minutes!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Fresh Flavor. The fresh, high-quality ingredients in this burrata toast contribute to the exceptional taste. The juicy tomatoes, fragrant lemon zest, and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil elevate the flavors and provide a burst of freshness.
Luxurious Feeling. The creamy texture of burrata cheese adds a luxurious element to the toast, making every bite indulgent and satisfying. It is a great appetizer for the holidays or for a date night at home.
Simple Ingredients. The simplicity of the dish allows the individual ingredients to shine. The creamy burrata melts slightly when spread on warm toast, creating a creamy base that perfectly complements the flavor combinations.
Easy to multiply. If you are making this for a crowd or party, triple or quadruple the recipe and toast the bread in the oven.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSITUTIONS
Ciabatta Bread. I sliced a ciabatta loaf for this toast because it is sturdy and compliments the flavors of this burrata toast well. Sourdough bread slices will also work or any crusty bread. I would shy away from using any bread is thinner, and weaker in texture due to the heavy toppings used.
Burrata. Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese made from cow's milk. It is made from cream and mozzarella. The outer shell is solid cheese, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream, giving it a creamy texture. You can find burrata in the cheese section of your local grocery stores. If you cannot find burrata, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese or even cottage cheese are all good substitutions. Use the other burrata ball in my burrata caprese salad or my burrata sandwich! Both take under ten minutes to make too.
Avocado. Creamy avocado adds a rich and buttery flavor to this toast and pairs perfectly with the fresh tomatoes, lemon zest and burrata cheese. We are upgrading simple avocado toast here.
Lemon Juice and Zest. For the most vibrant flavor on your toast, it's crucial to incorporate both lemon juice and lemon zest. Packaged lemon juice is diluted, leading to not as fresh of a taste. You will need lemon zest regardless, so opt to directly extract the juice by squeezing the lemon.
Cherry Tomatoes. Ripe tomato slices bring a burst of juicy sweetness and acidity to the dish, balancing the creaminess of the burrata and avocado. I prefer to use cherry tomatoes, but any tomatoes will do!
Hot Honey. Hot honey adds a sweet and spicy kick that contrasts beautifully with the creaminess of the cheese. You can buy hot honey or make your one by mixing 2 tbsp of honey with 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Toast the bread. Toast the ciabatta or your choice of bread until is is golden brown.
Step 2. Prep the ingredients. While the bread is toasting, zest the lemon and slice the tomatoes. Smash the avocado so it is creamy + spreadable.
Step 3. Built the toast. Once the toast is done, rub a raw garlic clove onto the surface of the toast then add the avocado on top of the toast and spread it into a thin, even layer using a spoon or butter knife.
Add the sliced tomato on top of the avocado then squeeze lemon on top of the tomatoes. Next, add the burrata directly on top of the tomatoes and tear it open to expose the creamy center.
Drizzle of good quality olive oil and sprinkle flaky sea salt and lemon zest on top of the burrata. Then, drizzle on hot honey on top! Enjoy this masterpiece.
Eat this toast right away! Due to the wet ingredients, the toast will become soggy if it sits out for too long. If you intend to serve it as an appetizer and anticipate it being left out for an extended period, consider toasting the bread a bit more to enhance its durability.
TIME SAVING HACKS
To save on time, buy pre-mashed avocado cups. You can find them in the produce section, near the hummus and guacamole, of most grocery stores.
Burrata is a type of mozzarella cheese known for its creamy interior. Unlike traditional mozzarella, burrata has a soft, creamy center that oozes out when cut, providing a unique and luxurious texture.
Absolutely! This toast is highly customizable. You can experiment with additional toppings like fresh herbs (such as basil or mint), nuts, fruits or microgreens.
Yes. Make your own vegan burrata or use vegan mozzarella or even vegan cream cheese. Skip the hot honey on top too and it will be a plant based, delicious dish.
- Use sturdy bread. The toppings on this avocado burrata toast are heavy. Using too thin or too soft of bread can cause it to fall apart. Once you have your bread choice, toast it to the right level of crispness for a sturdy base.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Let the burrata come to room temperature before assembling the toast. This ensures the creamy center is at its best consistency.
MORE TASY RECIPES
Burrata Toast Recipe with Lemon Zest
- Toaster oven
- 1 slice of ciabatta bread sour dough or any sturdy bread also works (GF optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ball of burrata
- 2 tbsp avocado smashed
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ tbsp lemon juice approx 1 slice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tbsp hot honey*
- Olive oil for drizzle
- Flaky Salt for taste
- Toast your slice of bread until it is golden brown.
- While the bread is toasting, smash the avocado and zest + juice the lemon.
- Once the bread is toasted, run the whole, raw garlic clove on the surface of it. This will provide a hint of flavor.
- Next, smear on the creamy avocado in an even, thin layer across the surface of the bread.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes on top of the avocado then sprinkle the lemon juice..
- Add the entire ball of burrata on top of the tomatoes and break it open to expose the creamy inside. If you prefer not to eat the outside of the burrata (which is delish!!), break open the burrata then spoon the creamy inside of burrata on top the tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of the burrata, then sprinkle on the flaky sea salt, then drizzle on the hot honey!