These quick blended overnight oat recipe will be your new favorite breakfast! Healthy oats blended into a creamy texture then stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it. All you need is 6 simple ingredients and 5 minutes!
Oatmeal is one of my go to breakfast choices because it is so easy to make, hearty, nutritious, and budget friendly. It also stores incredibly well for meal prep for the perfect make-ahead breakfast.
If you're ready to switch up your oat game and try something new, these blended overnight oats are it! Creamy oats are now my favorite way to enjoy oats. I did not realize blending would make them so much more smooth and make them easier to eat! Don't get me wrong, I like basic overnight oats but sometimes I do not like the chewy texture.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Ice cream for breakfast! Ditch the regular overnight oats and make these blended oats recipe. Blended oats have a creamy, ice cream like texture and are the ultimate way to enjoy your oats! Top with some coconut whip cream and you will be in heaven!
- Only 6 simple ingredients. The base recipe of these vegan overnight oats are as simple as it gets. All you need is basic ingredients you likely already have in your cabinet. No reason to go to the store!
- Slime-proof! One of the biggest complaints about overnight oats is that they can be slimy! The sliminess could be due to oversoaking or improper washing. The good news, however, is that these oats do not get slimy because they are blended into small, smooth pieces.
- No Banana. You do not have to wait for your bananas to ripen for this easy breakfast recipe. This healthy breakfast is made without banana and is less sweet so you can customize with your favorite toppings!
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUIONS
- Oats - These blended oats are best made with old-fashioned oats. Quick-cooking oats, also known as instant oats, will work as a substitute, but do break down quicker, so I recommend blending them for less time. I do not recommend using steel-cut oats. If you are gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats.
- Milk - Any milk will work for these overnight oats. I like to use plant-based milk, like unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, but dairy whole milk will work as well! You can use vanilla or plain. If you use oat milk, adjust your maple syrup accordingly, as it can be on the sweeter side.
- Pure maple syrup - Maple Syrup enhances the flavor of the blended oats without being overly sweet. You can use another liquid sweetener such as agave or honey, or if you prefer a sugar free option, you can use liquid stevia.
- Nut butter - A drippy nut butter is best. If you want the flavor of your oats to be neutral, use almond butter or cashew butter. You can also use sunflower seed butter.
- Chia seeds - These omega rich seeds add extra fiber and nutrition to the oats. You may also use ground flax seeds at a 1-1 ratio.
If you want to add anything else into the oats, such as plant-based protein powder, add extra liquid to it (approximately 2-3 tbsp).
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until they are a creamy consistency, approximately 30-60 seconds. You can use a food processor if you do not have a blender, but I found they are best when blended, not processed.
Step 2. Transfer the overnight oats into a mason jar or into a container with a lid. Store in the fridge overnight or at least for 4 hours.
Step 3. When ready to eat, eat immediately from the jar or transfer into a bowl for a delicious breakfast or a healthy snack. See my section below on fun toppings!
The base recipe of these oats are neutral enough to pair with several types of toppings. Here are a few of my favorite toppings to enjoy these oats with:
- Fresh fruit: Just like classic overnight oats recipes, this recipe is perfect when topped with fresh fruit! Fresh sliced banana or fresh berries, like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries are wonderful options.
- Nut butter: Even though there is nut butter in the oats, you can also add it on top for an extra treat. Any nut butter will work, like almond butter, creamy peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter if you have a nut allergy. If you like crunchy toppings, use a crunchy nut butter! You can also try nutella, but if you are vegan or dairy free, make sure it you buy a vegan version!
- Spices: Add a sprinkle of spices on top! Whether you want to add a little cinnamon, pumpkin spice or nutmeg, you can adjust your oats for the season.
- Chocolate: Have a sweet tooth? Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cacao nibs, or a drizzle of chocolate syrup to make it really taste like a sundae. You can also dust cacao powder on top of them!
- Nuts and seeds: Top with pumpkin seeds, unsalted peanuts, walnut, pecans or slivered almonds.
- Coconut: Feel like you are on a topical island by sprinkling your favorite sweetened or unsweetened desiccated coconut or coconut flakes.
- Yogurt: Both dairy or vegan yogurt is delicious here. For an added protein boost, use your favorite plain Greek yogurt. If you prefer a flavored yogurt, you can use that as well.
- Syrup: For added sweetness, drizzle with a bit of honey, maple syrup, or a pancake syrup of choice. You can also make my homemade vanilla syrup or my homemade strawberry syrup and drizzle it on.
STORING AND REHEATING INSTRUCTIONS
Blended overnight oats will keep for up to 4 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator making them the perfect for Sunday meal prep and will make busy mornings so much easier.
I do not recommend freezing the oats because the texture will change completely.
TIME SAVING HACKS
These oats make a perfect meal prep recipe because they store for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. The recipe serves 1 larger portion or two smaller portions. If you are making for multiple days, simple triple or double the recipe.
This is subjective, but in my opinion, no. The key to ensuring your oats will not make your tummy hurt is by making sure they are fully submerged in liquid. This will make them easier to digest.
Yes! They are packed full of healthy, wholesome carbs and fiber. Add a healthy fat, like nut butter, and protein powder so they keep you fueled for hours.
- Blend the oats well. To achieve the perfect, creamy texture, make sure to blend the oats for at least 30 to 60 seconds.
- Top to your tastebuds! These vegan overnight oats are neutral in flavor, making them the perfect vessel for any topping based on what you're craving!
OTHER OAT RECIPES
Creamy Blended Overnight Oats Recipe
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Toppings (optional): Strawberry, Banana, Blueberries, Extra Nut Butter, Yogurt, Whip Cream
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor then blend for 30-60 seconds, until the oat mixture is completely blended.
- Once the oat mixture is blended, add it a mason jar or a container with an air-tight seal.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least four hours. Add your choice of toppings!
- Fresh fruit: Try sliced banana or fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Nut butter: Any nut butter like almond butter, peanut butter, nutella, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter if you have a nut allergy.
- Chocolate: Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cacao nibs, or a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- Nuts and seeds: Top with pumpkin seeds, chopped peanuts, or slivered almonds.
- Coconut: Sprinkle with your favorite sweetened or unsweetened desiccated coconut or coconut flakes.
- Yogurt: Both dairy or non-dairy yogurt is delicious here. For an added protein boost, use your favorite plain Greek yogurt.
- Syrup: For added sweetness, drizzle with a bit of honey, maple syrup, or a pancake syrup of choice.