This easy one pot vegan tater tot casserole is filled with fresh veggies and topped with golden brown and crispy tater tots. It is such a flavor packed comfort food! Whether you call it a hot dish or tater tot casserole, you will love this cozy meal.
This casserole is a great recipe for a holiday side dish, a lazy weeknight meal, or when you just want the ultimate vegan comfort food. This would also be a delicious snack or side dish for football season.
There are a few different styles of tater tot casserole out there. Some are more like chicken pot pie. They have vegetables like green beans and carrots in a creamy sauce, usually made from cream of mushroom soup. This version is taco style made with onions, black beans, tomatoes, corn, taco seasoning and of course, some melted vegan cheese!
Ingredients for vegan tater tot casserole
You just need a few simple ingredients to pull off this mouth watering dish.
Vegan cheddar cheese shreds - There are a lot of brands out there, but I like Mykonos the best.
Fresh mushrooms - Helps give this casserole a meaty texture. You can use your favorite kind.
White onion - You can also use a yellow or red onion here.
Garlic cloves - You can omit if you have an intolerance.
Black beans - Pinto beans would also work well in this recipe.
Corn - I love the texture corn adds to this casserole.
Tomato (or salsa) - Meaty tomatoes like Roma work well. You can also use canned diced tomatoes or salsa!
Tomato paste - Buy the kind in a squeezable tube for less waste.
Jalapeño - This is optional. If you want it less spicy, scrape out the inner membrane and the seeds.
Taco seasoning - Make sure its the low sodium version.
Package of frozen tater tots - Most tater tot brands are vegan, but check the ingredients in case.
Topping ideas: guacamole, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, or lettuce.
- Add the tater tots to the casserole straight from frozen. This helps them be crispy and not soggy.
- Use an oven safe skillet to make this a one pot family favorite.
- Top with guacamole, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, or lettuce for a taco style casserole.
How to make vegan tater tot casserole
Let’s make this easy recipe!
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a cast-iron skillet, or other oven safe large skillet, add olive oil or vegetable oil. Heat your garlic and onion over medium to low heat until fragrant.
Next, add in the rest of your vegetables to the garlic and sauteed onion: mushrooms, black beans, corn, tomato and jalapeno if using.
Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle in your taco seasoning and tomato paste and combine well with the veggie mixture. Season with sea salt and black pepper as needed.
Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle half of the vegan cheese evenly on top.
Next, layer your tater tops over the skillet in a single layer.
Bake for 30 minutes. The tater tots should be crispy and golden brown.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the rest of the vegan cheese on top. Bake again for 5 minutes until the cheese layer is nice and melty.
Remove from oven and let sit for 3-5 minutes before digging in!
Option to top with extra vegan cheese shreds, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, or lettuce.
Can I make this ahead of time?
It's best to make this casserole the day you want to eat it, so the tater tots are as crispy as possible. Its so easy though, this won’t be a problem!
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
You can microwave this to reheat, but for best results (and crispy tots) reheat in an oven safe dish in the oven or toaster oven until warmed throughout.
Substitutions & Variations
The great thing about this recipe is it’s pretty versatile. You can add and swap out ingredients to your liking.
- You can also add a ½ cup of diced green bell peppers if you like those. A red bell pepper would also work.
- Try adding vegan sausage or vegan ground meat.
- Add some hearty lentils if you want some extra protein.
- Make it a vegan tater tot breakfast casserole by adding vegan breakfast sausage and vegan eggs (like Just Egg).
- If you don’t have taco seasoning, you can add a 1 teaspoon of each: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.
A tater tot casserole is a dish with veggies and sometimes ground beef, topped with crunchy tater tots. It is also sometimes called a tater tot hot dish. This vegan version is just as delicious as the original version!
Most tater tot brands are vegan, but to be sure check that the label is free from animal products.
Follow this recipe for the best vegan and vegetarian tater tot casserole! This recipe calls to skip the meat and opts for lots of meaty texture vegetables instead.
Looking for more vegan comfort foods?
Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves mined
- ¾ cup mushrooms diced
- ¾ cup black beans
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup tomato (or salsa) diced
- 3 tbsp jalapeño diced
- 4 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup vegan cheddar shreds (I like the Mykonos brand)
- ½ package tater tots approximately 3 cups
- Optional toppings: extra vegan cheese, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, or lettuce.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil, garlic and onion over medium to low heat until fragrant.
- Add in mushrooms, black beans, corn, tomato or salsa, and jalapeño (if using) and let it sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in taco seasoning and tomato paste and mix well.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle half of the vegan cheese evenly on top.
- Add tater tots in a single layer across the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle the rest of the vegan cheese on top. Bake again for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Option to top with extra vegan cheese, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, or lettuce.