This vegan buffalo chicken dip is a delicious twist on the classic buffalo chicken dip. Perfect for hosting, game days, and afternoon snacking. Have it ready in just 1 hour with easy-to-find ingredients!
I'm a sucker for anything buffalo-flavored. Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches, Vegan Buffalo Mac and Cheese, White Bean Buffalo Dip, Creamy Vegan Buffalo Sauce...there's just nothing better! It's spicy, savory, and the perfect flavor punch.
This vegan buffalo chicken dip in particular may be one of the best vegan appetizers I have ever created. I make it often and enjoy it each and every time with vegans and non-vegans alike. It's the perfect dip for anyone who is transitioning from a meat-eater to vegetarian, a vegetarian to vegan, or just anyone who loves a spicy, creamy dip.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for hosting your next party. If you're hosting guests for the big game day, the holidays, or a simple afternoon party, this vegan buffalo chicken dip recipe is the perfect vegan appetizer! It's easy to feed a crowd and is indulgent enough even meat eaters love it. It's also easy to transport if you're looking to bring a vegan dip to picnics or potlucks.
- Free of mock meats! I'm not necessarily against mock meat, but when I can make a "chicken" dip that's just as delicious using wholesome ingredients I'm all about it! This vegan "chicken" dip is made without soy curls, store-bought vegan chicken strips or shredded chicken.
- Nut-free. Many of the buffalo chicken dip recipes available are made with a cashew mixture as the dip base. And while cashews do have a great creamy, neutral taste, they're a common allergen and not always suitable for sharing with friends and family. This version is made completely nut-free and safe for parties and school lunches!
- All you need is an oven. The base of the dip requires just a large mixing bowl, a spatula for stirring, and an oven safe dish for baking. No need for a food processor, high-speed blender, immersion blender, or any fancy appliances!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cauliflower - My vegan "chicken" substitute. Trust me, it works! When roasted, cauliflower becomes soft and tender, just like classic chicken. There's a reason it's a popular choice for a vegan buffalo wings substitute!
- Vegan cream cheese - I typically use the Trader Joe's brand or Tofutti. Both of these are nut-free and relatively affordable. However, use your favorite vegan cream cheese brand! Kite Hill is another popular choice.
- Vegan cheese shreds - There's nothing better than a cheesy dip! Vegan cheddar cheese is my favorite, but you can also use vegan mozzarella cheese or any cheese you like.
- Vegan mayonnaise - Chosen Foods is my go-to vegan mayo, but feel free to use your favorite. You can swap it with vegan sour cream in a pinch, too.
- Buffalo sauce - I almost always use my Creamy Vegan Buffalo Sauce for a creamier dip, but you can always use regular Frank's red hot sauce or any mild buffalo sauce of choice. Adjust to your personal spice preference, too.
Step by Step Instructions
- Prep the cauliflower. Cut the head of cauliflower into very small florets - the smaller the better!
- Roast the cauliflower. Spread the cauliflower florets out on a large non-stick baking tray. If needed, use two non-stick baking trays as opposed to overcrowding the cauliflower. Drizzle the chopped florets with oil and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft and fork tender, yet charred on the outside.
- Prep the remaining dip ingredients. While the cauliflower roasts, prepare the remaining vegan buffalo chicken dip ingredients. In a large bowl, add in the softened vegan cream cheese, vegan cheddar cheese, vegan mayonnaise, minced chives, hot sauce, vegan buffalo sauce, and olive oil. Whisk these ingredients together until smooth, creamy, and well combined.
- Add in the cauliflower. Once the cauliflower is done cooking, place it in the bowl along with the remaining buffalo chicken dip ingredients and toss until well combined.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Pour the vegan buffalo chicken dip into a casserole dish. If desired, sprinkle extra vegan cheddar cheese shreds over top.
- Bake. Bake the creamy vegan buffalo chicken dip for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegan cheddar cheese is melted and the dip is bubbling.
- Cool and serve. Allow the dip to cool for 5 minutes, then top with minced chives or green onions for garnish and enjoy!
Storing and Reheating Instructions
Once baked, this vegan buffalo chicken dip will store best in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Gently reheat the dip in the oven at 425 degrees F for approximately 5-8 minutes, or until the dip begins to bubble again and is warmed through again.
Freezing this dip is not recommended. The vegan cream cheese and mayo will separate and become grainy when thawed and won't have the best texture.
Time Saving Hacks
If you'd like to prep this easy party dip in advance, make the entire dip in advance through recipe step 6. Tightly seal it in the baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
When ready to bake, mix it gently in the baking dish, then bake as usual!
Can I bake this dip in a cast iron skillet?
Yes! If you have an oven-safe, large skillet or cast iron pan, you can bake this dip in it, if desired. I'd recommend using a pan close in size to a 9" pan. If you use a much larger skillet, the dip will be thinner and may bake faster.
What should I serve with this easy dip?
Tortilla chips are a favorite go-to, but this dip is also incredible with celery sticks, carrot sticks, pita bread, or any of your favorite chips and dippers. You truly can't go wrong!
I made my dip too spicy. How can I fix it?
If your dip is really spicy, I'd recommend drizzling it with vegan ranch dressing when serving. The coolness of the creamy ranch will cut the spicy flavor and make it more palatable.
- Make sure your buffalo sauce is vegan! Many vegan buffalo sauces have dairy butter in them and are not vegan-friendly. Always read the ingredients or when in doubt, purchase Frank's Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce or Primal Kitchen.
- Broil the dip for the best melted cheese. From my experience, not all vegan cheese melts. Vevan and Miyoko's Creamery cheeses melt the best, but if you'd like the cheese to melt as good as possible, turn on the broiler for the last 1-2 minutes of baking.
More Vegan Dip Recipes to Try
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 large cauliflower head (approx. 6 cups)
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup vegan cheddar
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp chives minced (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut your cauliflower into small, bite size pieces (approx, the size of half of a strawberry). The smaller the better, as you do not want to have large chunks in your dip.
- Place the cauliflower on a non-stick baking tray. Make sure to spread it out and not crowd the cauliflower. You may need to do this with two baking sheets. Drizzle the cauliflower with oil and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft and charred.
- While it is cooking, mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once the cauliflower is done cooking, place it in the bowl and toss in the sauce mixture. (Do not turn off oven!)
- Pour the buffalo cauliflower into a casserole dish. Optional to sprinkle extra cheddar cheese and chives on top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbling. If you would like your cheese to be charred and melted more, turn on the boiler for 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
This dip is SO good! My fiance normally won't go near cauliflower and even he loved it! Thank you for the delicious recipe, I will be making this again and again!
Thank you so much, Nica! I hope you and your fiance have a great week!