These vegan s’mores cookies are full of gooey marshmallows, crunchy graham cracker taste, and gooey dark chocolate. They require absolutely no chilling time, are undetectably vegan, and take under 30 minutes to prep and bake.
Did you know that S'more is a contraction of the phrase "some more"? S'mores appeared in a cookbook in the early 1920s, where it was called a "Graham Cracker Sandwich." I did not know this either, but thanks to Wikipedia, I now do.
Okay, done with the fun facts, and let’s make these cookies!
Why are these Vegan S'Mores Cookies the best?
Easy to Make - Being a lazy vegan recipe developer, I do not want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. You do not need to be kitchen savvy to make this recipe.
No Chill Time - These cookies require no time in the fridge, which makes them that much more desirable. Your cookies will be made, baked, and possibly eaten within an hour.
Nostalgia Feeling - What makes you think of your childhood more than a s’more? Well, if you cant get around a firepit, a s’more may not be possible. Hence, these cookies! No fire required.
To make these vegan s’mores cookies, you will need the following ingredients: all-purpose flour; brown sugar; vegan graham crackers; marshmallows; dark chocolate chips; salts; cinnamon baking soda; baking powder; maple syrup; vanilla extract; plant-based milk; and vegan butter.
How to make the cookies
These cookies are incredibly simple to make.
First, you will make your powdered graham cracker “flour” or sand, well basically whatever you want to call it.
Do this by crushing approx 3 graham crackers in a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, then place your graham crackers in a bag and smash them with a spoon until they resemble flour.
In a large mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredients together,
Then, in a separate bowl, cream your vegan butter and sugar together. Continue to add in the additional wet ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (other than your marshmallows, graham cracker chunks, and chocolate chunks).
Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry until a dough forms.
Then, slowly fold in your marshmallows, graham cracker chunks, and chocolate chunks. Do this by using a spatula to lift the graham cracker, marshmallows and chocolate dips into the batter, turning them over so they can be combined
Scoop aprox. 2 tbsp of the dough onto a greased baking sheet. Be sure to generously space out your cookies.
You can add in extra chocolate chunks or marshmallows on top.
These cookies bake for 13 minutes. That’s all. It is a very simple recipe.
Do not overbake! These vegan s’more cookies are deceiving. They will not look fully baked when you take them out of the oven, and that is exactly how they should look.
Basically, they will look raw. Do not worry, they will bake more on the cooking sheet while they are cooling.
Use Vegan Marshmallows. Did you know regular marshmallows are not vegan due to the gelatin? I use Dandies brand.
Cook on your center rack. This will give you the most consistent heat for them to come out the best.
Always cream the butter and sugar together. This is key for getting a great consistency with your cookie. If you do not do this, the texture may be off (although, the cookie will still be yummy).
Use stick vegan butter over margarine butter. Margarine butter will cause these to melt and become flat.
It is likely the brand of the marshmallow you are using. I suggest Dandies brand. If you continue to run into this issue, freeze your marshmallows for 15 minutes before placing them in your batter and baking.
Absolutely. It will last up to 30 days in your freezer in an air-tight container. You can also freeze the cookies for 30 days.
Be sure to not cook these cookies at a higher temperature than suggested. This can cause them to become flat. Also, it might be because you used vegan margarine instead of vegan stick butter.
You may store these cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature (just make sure it is not too warm) for up to 7 days.
You may also freeze the cookies for up to a month.
Got cookies on your mind?
Try these delicious vegan sugar cookies.
Or perhaps you want the cookie flavor without effort? Try this 5-minute sugar cookie dip.
If you want a cookie flavor in a cocktail, try my famous cookie butter cocktail.
Vegan S'mores Cookies
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup graham crackers crushed finely (approx 3 crackers)
- 4 tbsp. graham crackers roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegan marshmallows see notes
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp plant based milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter (stick, softened)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease a baking sheet).
- Ground your graham crackers in a food processor, or smash them within a bag. ¼ cup should be approx 3 crackers.
- Cream your sugar and butter together. Then add in additional wet ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients (other than marshmallows, chocolate chunks and chunks of graham cracker) in a large bowl.
- Slowly pour your wet ingredients into your dry and whisk until combined.
- Gently fold in your chocolate, then your chunky graham crackers then your marshmallows. Some of these may pop out a little, but thats okay!
- Scoop approximately 2 tbsp of cookie dough onto your baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the batter, ensuring you leave a generous amount of space between the raw cookies.
- Bake in the middle rack for 13 minutes. Note: they may appear soft when removing them from the oven, but they will harden up.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving