Caramelized Onion Cranberry Bruschetta is the perfect balance of sweet, savory and a little bit tart! Made on a gluten free baguette, smothered with vegan cream cheese then topped with the caramelized onions and cranberry sauce. Drizzled with balsamic, this Caramelized Onion Cranberry crostini will be your new favorite!
Appetizers do not always get the love they deserve. They are the true MVP of many gatherings, especially if you have an allergy or a dietary resctrions.
These Caramelized onion cranberry cream cheese bites are so easy to make for any occasion! You can make the cranberry sauce and caramelized onions the day before. Then, simply slice and toast the bread on the day of, smother on the vegan cream cheese and top the with the caramelized onions and cranberry sauce to assemble it right before you serve it.
This savory bruschetta is made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry too! Pair it with a wonderful wine on a night in, or bring it to a holiday gather - or perhaps game day!
This recipe has delicious ingredients and is not laborious to make! Let me show you how easy it is to make!
Ingredients for Caramelized Onion Cranberry Cream Cheese Bruschetta
This plant-based bruschetta is made with simple ingredients! It included: Gluten Free Baguette; Cranberries; Orange Zest; Sugar; Water; White Onions; Butter; Salt; Pepper; Vegan Cream Cheese; and Balsamic Glaze.
I have also provided substitutions for you.
Baguette- You may use any loaf of bread you like! I chose a small gluten free baguette from trader joes (it is actually take and bake) because I wanted a smaller top (meaning more pieces!).
Cranberries- Fresh, whole cranberries are needed for this recipe.
Orange Zest- Zest from an orange helps the cranberry sauce pop! If you cannot find an orange, you make use 1 tsp of orange juice.
Sugar- Sugar is used to make the cranberry reduction. I used sugar in the raw, but you may use any alternative to that, including
White Onion- White onion is best for this recipe. You may also use yellow onion as well. Red will not work well.
Vegan Butter- You may use any vegan butter you prefer or real butter if you are not vegan or dairy free.
Salt and Pepper- For seasoning! Option to omit.
Vegan Cream Cheese- You may also use a vegan ricotta or vegan brie. You may use regular cream cheese, as well as another smooth based cheese.
Balsamic Glaze- You may omit this!
How To Make This Caramelized Onion Cranberry Crostini Recipe
As always, this recipe is super easy to make!
First, you will caramelize cut your onions into ¼ inch slices. Place butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once the butter is scorching, place in half of the onions and stir continuously. After one minute, add in the rest of the onions and stir more. Allow to cook for 15-20 mins, stirring consistently. The longer you cook, the browner they will get, BUT be careful - it can burn easily!
While the onions are caramelizing, zest your orange! Then, place your cranberries, sugar, orange zest and water in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 8 minutes. All liquid should be absorbed. If it is not, continue to let it simmer until liquid is evaportated.
Cut your baguette into bite size pieces, approx. 1 inch thick. You may cut them skinnier or wider, depending on how much bread you want. Then toast it either in the oven or in the toaster (I did mine in the toaster). If you enjoy a crispier bread, toast it for longer.
Once the bread is done toasting and the onions and cranberries are complete, smear cream cheese on top, then top it with the caramelized onions and cranberry sauce. Option to top with balsamic reduction and/or rosemary.
That is it! The easiest sweet and savory appetizer that everyone will love.
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Caramelized Onion Cranberry Bruschetta
Storage- This bruschetta is best served immediately. If you need to make it ahead of time, prepare the onions and cranberries the day before. Both cooked will stay well in the fridge 24 hours. Simple warm them up in the microwave or skillet prior to placing them on the bruschetta.
Bread- As aforementioned, you may use any bread you like. The skinner the bread, the better (in my opinion). You may also make this into a Caramelized Onion Cranberry Bruschetta toast.
More delicious vegan appetizers
Mushroom Butternut Squash Bruschetta
Did you make this recipe?
THANK YOU! I am so touched and honored that you did. If you have, please provide me with a review. This helps me in the future and encourages me!
Caramelized Onion Cranberry Bruschetta
- 1 cup cranberries
- ½ cup sugar in the raw
- ½ tsp orange zest plus more for garnish
- 1 cup water
- ½ large onion cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- Cranberry Sauce
- Caramelized Onions
- Gluten Free Baguette
- 6-8 oz Vegan Cream Cheese
- Balsamic Glaze optional
- Option to garnish with rosemary or additional orange zest
- First, start by caramelizing your onions. Cut your onions to ¼ inch slices.
- Add butter to a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once the butter is scorching, place half of your onions into the pan and stir.
- Continue to stir for approx 2 minutes then add in the additional onions.
- Continuously stir the onions (approx every 1-2 minutes) for 15-20 minutes. The browner you wish your onions to become, the longer you will need to cook them for, but be careful – they burn easily (stirring will help prevent this).
- While the onions are caramelizing, begin to make your cranberry sauce. Place all ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until all of the liquid it absorbed.
- Once both the onions and cranberries are just about done, begin to prepare your bread for the bruschetta. Cut your baguette into approx 1 inch thick pieces.
- Place bread pieces into toaster or oven and toast for 5 minutes (or until fully toasted to your desire).
- Once toasted, smother with cream cheese, top with onions and cranberries then option to drizzle balsamic on top! You may also garnish with rosemary or additional orange zest.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply