Vegan four layer dip is one of my absolute favorite dips. It is packed full of everything that you could possibly want in a dip!
This is a dip that I have loved since I was a young girl. In fact, this recipe is so old that it written on the back of plate. When I was younger, I did not eat meat (I stopped at the age of 5) and it seemed that every single dip that anyone made was full of meat. Every time I would go anywhere I had nothing to eat. That is, until my mother starting making me this dip.
My mother would make this dip for me every picnic, every super bowl and just when I was craving something tasty! It is perfectly creamy, cheesy and savory. Once I went vegan I know I could not live without this dip, so I made the vegan version of it, which is incredibly easy.
Making the dip
There are a few things that you must know when making this Vegan four layer dip. The first thing is that you can truly make it your own, like most of my recipes. I will provide you with what I use, but you can secretly use whatever you want to make your taste buds sing.
I use a pie pan for this dip, but you can use a casserole dip as well! There are no rules here.
Cream Cheese: The base layer is vegan cream cheese. I used Toffuti plain cream cheese for my recipe. You can try any brand of cream cheese that you like. You can also used flavored cream cheese if you want to switch things up.
Beans: The next layer is beans. I use vegan refried beans. It is important that you use the vegan version because others can contain lard in them! You can also use regular black beans if you want to have a less smooth, chunkier dip.
Salsa: This layer is where you can have a lot of fun. I use chunky hot salsa in mine because I love my spice and I like the chunks it adds. I have yet to use a thinner salsa, but I am sure it would work fine if you want a thinner layer of the dip. You obviously can use a mild salsa too or just diced tomatoes.
Shredded Cheese: I used Diaya shredded cheddar (both white and orange). You can use any cheese your heart desires. You can certainty use a vegan mexican cheese blend, if you can find it! I recommend shredding the cheese because it will be tough to melt if you don't. Also, tip to melt vegan cheese - turn on the boiler for 1-2 minutes at the end of the bake time.
This recipe will bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Eating the Dip
I eat mine with tortillas or carrot sticks! You can also use crackers or even scoop a large amount into a taco shell.
Storing the Dip
Place left over dip in glass Tupperware with an air tight seal and store in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 4 days. To reheat, pop back in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes or until it is warm.
If you want to make another dip - check out my buffalo cauli dip recipe here.
Vegan Four Layer Dip
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese I used Tofutti
- 16 oz vegan refried beans
- 1 can chunky hot salsa
- ½ cup vegan shredded cheese or more if you want more cheese!
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Using a pie pan or casserole dish, smooth out the cream cheese onto the bottom on the pie pan. Make sure it is an even spread.
- Spread the can of refried beans on top of the cream cheese. It is okay if it gets a little mixed in with cream cheese, but try your best to keep it separated by not pressing too hard. Make sure it is an even spread.
- Pour the salsa on top and spread it evenly on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle your cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes. If your cheese is not melting, turn on the boiler for 2-3 minutes. Watch it closely though!