Cozy apple vegan hand pies are a small version of your favorite pie. Stuffed with soft apple chunks and warm fall spices, you get all the flavors of a pie without the large size. Ready in under 60 minutes, you will love these fast and easy vegan apple hand pies are!
Whoever said size matter was NOT talking about hand pies! Although they are small, they are bursting with big flavors. While calzones are the small and crustier version of a pizza, hand pies are the smaller and crustier version of a pie!
- Use pre-made frozen vegan pie crust to make this recipe even quicker!
- Cut very small apple chunks to ensure they fit within the mini hand pie
Ingredients for Vegan Hand Pies
All of the ingredients for the apple hand pies are easily found at your local grocery.
Apple- I used gala apple, as they bake the best and soften the best. Gala apples will turn soft from baking quickly and also break down nicely so they are easy and soft to eat. You may use another soft apple as well, such as fuji.
Vegan butter - Myokonos salted European butter is the best for baking. In the alternative, you can use Earth Balance.
Pecans- Pecan pieces or whole pecans crushed work the best for this recipe. You may also use walnuts.
Other ingredients you will need are: sugar in the raw; maple syrup; vanilla extract; cinnamon; allspice; and salt.
How to make these apple treats
This recipe is extremely easy to make, as are all of my recipes.
First, you chop up the apple(s) into super bite size pieces. By super, I mean it. You do not want big chunks or they will not fit into your pies. I made mine the size of a small piece of gum (think Orbit or Trident).
Next, heat the vegan butter over medium heat. Once it is warm, sauté the apples for 4-6 minutes.
Once they feel soft, add in the sugar, pecans, and maple syrup and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
While you cook the apples, prepare your pie crust.
Remove your pie crust from the tin and lay it flat on a clean counter sprinkled with a little bit of flour.
Cut the crust into 8 circles using a cookie cutter. The pie crust circles were approximately 2 ½ inches.
If you cannot get 8 pie shells, or as I call them, pie circles, from the pie crust at first, roll it into a ball and flatten it, using a rolling pin, onto the clean, floured surface and repeat.
Scoop approx. 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture into the center of the small pie crust shell. Continue for four of the shells. Make sure not to overstuff the shells, as they will explode if you do.
Melt the additional butter then coat the edges of the pie crust with melted vegan butter, then place the other pie crust on top. Mesh together the edges with a fork. You can cut the excess crust, but do leave a grab-able amount. Coat the top with butter.
Place on a greased baking sheet and cut a small slit on the top for steam to escape.
Bake for 15 minutes. Once it is done, top it with vegan whip cream and vegan icecream or drizzle vegan caramel sauce on top!
How to store leftovers
Place hand pies in an airtight container and store them in a cool place for up to 4 days.
How to reheat
The best way to reheat these vegan apple hand pies is to do so gently and slowly in a microwave. Wrap the hand pie in a moist paper towel and heat for 30 seconds on medium heat. Continue until heated to your desired temperature.
Subsitutions and Variations
You can add some extra ingredients to this recipe, or substitute some things out to your liking. Here are a few ideas.
- Use walnuts instead of pecans for a less sweet options.
- Swap out apples for blueberries or peaches to make this recipe during the summertime.
- Make your own pie crust. I personally love this recipe from It Doesnt Taste Like Chicken.
- Add 1 tsp of rum to the mixture to make it boozy!
- Use honey instead of maple syrup if you are non vegan or plant based.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top for a heightened experience.
I used Wholly Wholesome, which is an organic pie crust. You can also use Keebler’s no-bake graham cracker crusts or Marie Callender’s.
They will be in the freezer island.
Yes, allow it to thaw for 12 hours beforehand in the fridge.
Other apple inspired recipes
Vegan Apple Hand Pies
- 1 cup gala apple
- 1 tbsp vegan butter plus ½ tsp more for coating
- 1 tbsp sugar in the raw
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp pecans
- 1 Vegan pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel, cork and cut your appleI(s). Cut them into very small pieces, as they need to be small to fit inside the pie.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter into a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in the apple chunks. Sauté the apples for approx. 4-5 minutes, until they are semi-softened.
- Add in your maple syrup, vanilla, sugar and pecans. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat then add in the additional ingredients the spices and mix together in the skillet.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface then lay our thawed, store bought vegan pie crust on top of it.
- Using a cookie cutter or the top of a cup, cut 8 circles from the pie crust (these will be your pie shells).
- Scoop the pie filling evenly into four of the mini pie shells. It will be about 1 ½ tbsps.
- Brush melted vegan butter on the edges of the shell with the pie filling, then place another shell on top, to fully encase the filling.
- Use a fork to mesh together the two crusts so they are sealed. Option to cut off any excess crust, but do not cut too much.
- Slit a small slice on top of each pie to allow heat to escape. Coat with butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Top with vegan ice cream or whip cream. Enjoy!