This Oat Milk Matcha Latte is so rich and creamy you won't believe it's not milk. Learn how to froth oat milk at home and enjoy barista quality vegan lattes from the comfort of your home. Have this healthy caffeine boost ready in less than ten minutes!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Longer lasting energy. Although I absolutely love espresso (check out my vegan espresso lattes like my Creamy Iced Oat Milk Latte, Boozy Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte, or Maple Cinnamon Vanilla Latte), it's no secret that matcha green tea is far superior when it comes to giving you a healthy boost of energy without the crash. If you regularly feel like you need a nap at 2 pm or lose focus in the afternoon, switching your morning coffee for an oat milk matcha latte could be just what you need.
- Oat milk is the creamiest plant-based milk. It also froths well, has a slight sweetness, and is cheap to make at home. A lot of people that first transition to a dairy free or vegan lifestyle love oat milk because it tastes and froths very similar to creamy dairy milk. It also bakes well in Vegan Quiche and makes the richest tasting Oat Milk Hot Chocolate.
- Sugar free. Since oat milk is naturally sweet without any added sugar, you can make this matcha latte completely sugar free.
- Vegan iced matcha latte option. If you're craving a cold drink in the summer months, simply skip warming the milk and pour the oat milk matcha latte over ice.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Oat milk - There are many brands of oat milk to choose from in grocery stores and coffee shops today. Oatly is the first original brand of oat milk, invented and founded by the Swedish scientist, Rickard Oste. For this reason it is very popular and widely available.
If you are looking for a super clean vegan milk made without preservatives, gums, or oils, my favorite brand is Willa's.
I prefer to use original unsweetened oat milk because it is still naturally sweet, but you can use a sweetened version if you'd like.
- Matcha - Matcha is a type of powdered green tea. It boasts many health benefits and is an excellent source of antioxidants. Although any matcha powder you have at home will work, using a high quality, ceremonial matcha to make vegan matcha lattes at home will make a huge difference in both smoothness and flavor. Check out this matcha review to help you buy the best matcha for your budget.
- Sweetener - Oat milk is already naturally sweet and frothing milk makes it taste even sweeter, so you may love this recipe without added sugar. However, if you like a sweeter latte, I recommend adding half to one full tablespoon of maple syrup, agave or honey, if not vegan. You can also substitute a granulated sugar like cane sugar or brown sugar - I recommend starting with one teaspoon and adjusting to taste.
- Optional add-ins. The best part of making matcha lattes at home is you can customize them to taste and to the season. In addition to vanilla extract, try a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, lavender, or turmeric to make this vegan latte extra healthy and delicious.
Step by Step Instructions
- Warm the milk. You can do this in the microwave or stove top. In the microwave, heat the oat milk in a microwave-safe mug or glass for 45 seconds, repeating every 45 seconds until it is heated. In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer the oat milk for about 5 minutes, or until scalded. Keep an eye on it to ensure the milk does not reach a boil. If oat milk begins to boil or simmer vigorously, remove the saucepan from the burner temporarily and lower the heat. If the oat milk boils, especially the more natural brands without preservatives, it will thicken and burn and should be discarded.
- Whisk or froth the matcha. In a small bowl or pyrex measuring cup, combine the matcha with the warm water. I like to do this with my milk frother, but you can also whisk the matcha vigorously with a matcha whisk and matcha bowl. Whisk or froth for 30-60 seconds or until the matcha is smooth and no longer grainy.
- Froth the oat milk. Frothed milk is simply milk that has been aerated to create a light and creamy texture. Now, frothing vegan milk at home for homemade matcha lattes can be intimidating but it's very easy. I love using a handheld frother, but keep reading below and I will teach you how to froth oat milk at home without a frother.
- Stir together the vegan milk and vanilla + sweetener. In your favorite mug, combine the oat milk and vanilla extract and sweetener of choice, if using, then froth of mix until combied.
- Finally, stir in matcha. Enjoy your matcha latte immediately while hot and frothy!
How to Froth Oat Milk (without a frother!)
The easiest, most affordable home milk frother you can buy is a handheld frother. If you regularly make vegan matcha lattes at home, it's worth making the small investment. It will froth the milk better than the methods below and generally takes less time.
If you want to froth oat milk at home now without a milk frother, give one of these three methods a try. You will be pleasantly surprised!
- Use a blender. Remember, the way to create frothed milk, is to aerate it until it's light and fluffy. Using a blender can be a great way to froth oat milk without a frother because it will whip air into the vegan milk very quickly. Place the hot oat milk in the blender with ample room in the top for heat expansion and blend for 20 seconds.
- Use an immersion blender. Just like the blender, the immersion blender will do a great job of aerating the milk and is very similar to a handheld frother. Blend the milk with the immersion blender for 20-30 seconds or until the milk has become light and frothy.
- Shake vigorously in a jar. Aerate the milk the old fashion way! Add the warm milk to a mason jar or another jar with a lid and shake vigorously for 60 seconds.
If you are making your own oat milk to use in oat milk matcha lattes, use oat groats and very cold water. Oat groats are the most unprocessed form of oats and are far less likely to get slimy in the "milking" process.
Most store-bought oat milks will last for about 7 days once opened and stored properly. More natural oat milks may spoil sooner because they do not contain the same preservatives to help prolong its life. If your vegan milk smells sour or if it has changed consistency, it has gone bad.
Matcha will begin to lose it's flavor and freshness after about 1 year. Once opened, it should be used within about 4 weeks. After these timeframes, matcha becomes more stale and the taste is less prevalent, meaning your matcha latte won't taste bad, but it won't taste like much either.
Starbucks does not disclose the exact matcha tea they use in their caffeinated beverages, but their matcha lattes are made with a matcha tea blend and contains sugar.
- Serve the matcha latte with a spoon! Matcha tends to sink to the bottom of the latte, so serve with a spoon and mix the matcha latte while you drink to prevent the matcha from settling.
- Mix the matcha tea with hot water. It will enhance the flavor of the oat milk matcha latte by helping the matcha tea meld into the milk.
Vegan Breakfast Recipes to Serve with Matcha
More Ways To Use Oat Milk
Oat Milk Matcha Latte
- 2 tablespoons warm water (bathtub water or warmer)
- ¾ cup oat milk
- ½ teaspoon matcha
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ½-1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey optional (or any sweetener of your choice)
- Heat your oat milk. You can do this in the microwave, by heating it in a heat resistance glass or mug for 45 seconds, then heating again for 45 seconds, repeating until it is warmed to your satisfaction. You can also heat it on the stove top over a medium to low heat for approximately 5 minutes. You will want your oat milk to simmer, but never boil. If it does boil, remove from heat.
- While your oat milk is heating, combined the matcha powder with the warm water (think bathtub water or hotter). Froth or whisk the matcha with the warm water until the mixture is not grainy, approx. 30-60 seconds.Tip: Use a glass or mug to do this, so the matcha does not spill over the sides of the glass while whisking or frothing.
- Once the oat milk is warmed, froth it. See my notes below for tips on how to froth it oat milk.
- Next, add vanilla extract and maple syrup into the oat milk and mix or froth until combined.
- Add into a mug (if it is not already in one) and pour in the matcha. Mix once more to combine the matcha and the oat milk mixture.