Skip the line at your local coffee shop and enjoy a creamy maple latte at home in less than 8 minutes. It's dairy free and low in sugar, making it both healthier and vegan friendly. Curl up on the couch or add it to a travel mug for a delicious, creamy pick me up.
I am an avid latte drinker no matter what the season is and this is one of my favorites. The combination of the bold espresso and sweet maple syrup creates a balance of flavors that tantalizes the senses. Whether you're looking to switch up your daily coffee routine or simply want to try something new, a maple latte is an excellent choice for any coffee lover.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Simple to make. Luckily it is super easy to learn how to make this maple syrup latte at home with plant based milk and cinnamon! All you need is a few pantry staple ingredients and less than 10 minutes!
- Cost effective. A dairy free latte at Starbucks can cost over $5,00. This latte uses ingredients likely already in your pantry, allowing you to save money! If you enjoy saving money on more Starbucks copy-cats, try my dairy free cold foam or my pumpkin cold foam.
- Iced maple latte option. If you're craving a cold drink in the summer months, simply skip warming the milk and pour the dairy free latte over ice.
- Refined Sugar free. Since the maple syrup is naturally sweet without any added sugar, you can make this latte completely refined sugar free.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Maple Syrup- A natural sweetener that perfectly sweetens this latte. I personally use an amber or golden grade maple syrup, but any grade will work. Use pure, real maple syrup for the best flavor.
- Espresso- Espresso gives this latte its caffeine boost. Strongly brewed coffee can be used in place of espresso as well. If you have any extra espresso, save it to make my iced oat milk latte.
- Plant based milk- Any plant based milk will work for this recipe, but I prefer to use oat. Oat milk is the creamiest plant based milk on the market. There are many brands of oat milk to choose from in grocery stores and coffee shops today. If you are looking for a super clean vegan milk made without preservatives, gums, or oils, my favorite brand is Willa's.
- Vanilla Extract- Vanilla extract adds a nice, sweet flavor to this latte.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Warm the milk. You can do this in the stove top or microwave. In the microwave, heat the plant based milk in a microwave-safe mug or glass for 45 seconds, repeating every 45 seconds until it is heated. In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer the milk for about 5 minutes, or until scalded. Keep an eye on it to ensure the milk does not reach a boil. If milk begins to boil or simmer vigorously, remove the saucepan from the burner temporarily and lower the heat. If the milk boils, especially the more natural brands without preservatives, it will thicken and burn and should be discarded.
Step 2. Brew your espresso. Whether you are using a fancy espresso machine or using a stove top version, begin to brew your espresso.
Step 3. Froth the plant based milk. Frothed milk is simply milk that has been aerated to create a light and creamy texture. Now, frothing vegan milk at home for homemade maple latte can be intimidating but it's very easy. I love using a handheld frother for best results, but you can also a whisk or an electric mixer. For more information on how to froth without a frother, read my matcha latte post.
Step 4. Stir together the vegan milk, maple syrup, vanilla and spices. In your favorite mug, combine the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and spices of choice then froth until mixed.
Step 5. Finally, stir in the espresso. Enjoy your maple latte immediately while hot and frothy!
REHEATING AND STORAGE
If you latte becomes cold, simply pop it back onto a sauce pan and heat it gently on the stove. You can also place it in the microwave and warm it as 15 second spurts.
If you need to store your latte, add it to a mason jar or drinking glass with a lid and place it in the refrigerator. When ready to drink, mix it well then heat it as instructed above. It will stay well for up to 12 hours.
Yes! Maple syrup is a wonderful refined sugar free way to sweeten up your coffee or lattes.
Yes. Skip heating the milk and simply add the milk, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnmaon to a glass over ice. Then, make add in the espresso and mix to make an iced maple latte!
A typical latte has two main ingredients - espresso and milk. Lattes are easy to customize to your taste buds and liking. You can add maple syrup or any form of sugar to sweeten it up, flavors such as caramel or mocha or spices like cinnamon.
- Carefully warm the plant based milk. Plant based milk warms very quickly and can boil or burn easily. Keep an eye on the sauce pan and keep the heat low when heating it.
- Customize to your taste buds! If you prefer a sweeter latte, add more maple syrup. If you like a spicier latte, add more cinnamon. You can also use coffee instead of espresso for a lighter version.
MORE COFFEE DRINKS
Maple Latte (dairy free)
- 1 ½ cups plant based milk
- 2 oz espresso 2 shots
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- Vegan Whip Cream optional
- Add the plant based milk to a sauce pan and gently heat it over medium to low heat. It will likely be heated within 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to boil or burn the milk.* You can also microwave the milk to heat it. Place the milk in a microwave-safe mug or glass for 45 seconds, repeating every 45 seconds until it is heated, for approximately 90-120 seconds total.
- While the milk is heating, begin brewing the espresso.
- Once the milk is warmed, froth the milk using a froth or a whisk by hand. The milk should be fluffy and aerated, taking approximately 30-45 seconds.
- Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup and cinnamon and mix together.
- Pour the milk mixture into two mugs, leaving room for the espresso shot on top.
- Finally, mix in the espresso (1 ounce for each mug). Option to top with additional cinnamon and whip cream!