This Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup is the perfect soup to warm you up. It is made with fresh tomatoes, basil, cashews and vegetable broth.
I absolutely love a good soup during anytime of the year, but tomato is my absolute favorite in the early fall. I always have too many tomatoes to know what to do with from my father's garden, so popping them into soup is one of the ways I love to use them (if you have too many hot peppers, click here).
Prior to going vegan, I absolutely loved creamy tomato soup. However, it always made me so sick to my stomach due to the heavy cream that is added into it. So, like everything else, when I went vegan I wanted to make my own version of creamy tomato soup. I immediately thought to use vegan cream cheese to add to the creaminess, but it did not work out so well. I then though, well maybe plain almond milk, but again it did not work out.
Cashews are the star of this soup. They add a perfect creamy and nutty flavor to the soup, making it perfect to satisfy your needs.
Ingredients for Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
This soup includes fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden, yellow onion, garlic cloves, cashews, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper for taste.
You do not need to use fresh tomatoes. You can simply use canned tomatoes, and skip the roasting step of this recipe.
If you are not a big fan of basil, you can remove it from the recipe. I like it because it adds a little zest to the recipe, but this soup will be perfectly fine without it.
As for vegetable broth, I used low sodium broth from Trader Joes. If you cannot find a low sodium broth, that is okay, but perhaps taste the soup prior to adding in the extra salt.
Yellow or red onions, cashews and garlic are necessary for this recipe. I would not substitute then with anything else.
Making Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
This soup is relatively easy to make, but is somewhat time concerning due to the tomatoes needing to be roasted. If you are using a can of tomatoes, it will take less time.
To make this soup, you must first soak your cashews in warm water for at least one hour prior to cooking. Then you place your tomatoes, garlic and onions onto a baking sheet and bake them for 45 minutes.
After they are done baking, you wait some time from them to cool and you peel off the skin. Then, you place all ingredients in a blender, blend and then heat over the stove. The steps are simple!
Eating The Soup
I paired my tomato soup with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich. I also love to eat mine with homemade croutons (old bread cut up, drizzled with olive oil and seasoning then toasted) or just a slice of bread. You do not have to add carbs to this.
Storing Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
Store this soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. You may also freeze this soup.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 2 lbs tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 cup veggie broth
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Soak your cashews in warm water for at least 1 hour prior to assembling this recipe. If you are short on time, add cashews to boiling water for 15 minutes to soften them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place you tomatoes on a baking sheet with the sliced portion facing up. Place the onions and garlic on the sheet pan as well. Drizzle all with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on time. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Let tomatoes cool for 15 minutes then peel off skin. It should easily peel off. Do not worry if some skin is left on the tomato.
- Drain cashews and place all ingredients, other than basil, into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture into a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in basil. Serve immediately. Enjoy!