'Tis the season for everything pumpkin, including this creamy pumpkin sage pasta! This pasta is absolutely delectable, and it will keep you craving more! Plus, it takes under thirty minutes to make.
Creamy Pumpkin Sage Pasta Inspo
This is another inspiration story like many others, this one came from my parent's garden. My mom had an epic sage plant that she grew in her herb garden. So, I took some sage, then had no clue what to do with it. Through some inspirational research, I found that is pairs very well with brown butter and pumpkin! I have yet to find a good vegan butter that will brown, so that was not in my wheel house.
Pairing sage with pumpkin intrigued me though. I saw recipes for scones, biscuits, gnocchi and pasta! Clearly, I went with the pasta inspiration. I was a little nervous that pairing too much pumpkin with pasta would be gross, which it was (yay for recipe fails). Finally, I found the perfect combination between pumpkin, vegan cream cheese and garlic!
I absolutely love to add this dish into my normal pasta rotation! It is so hard to pick between this one and my vegan penne alla no vodka pasta, but during the fall and winter season, it is pasta night quite often.
This dish is creamy, savory and absolutely delightful for any fall pasta. The pumpkin is in no way overpowering. It adds a nice little twist to it, and it - almost - mimics mac and cheese!
I usually provide for substitutes for a lot of my recipes, but in this case, I would not sub out much. Each ingredient plays a crucial part in making this pasta what it is. Switching one may result in less creaminess or too much pumpkin taste!
Eating the Pasta
I ate mine with wide ribbon pasta, but I am sure it would be great with any type! I think using shells would be absolutely delightful.
If you are seeking another Italian dish to pair this with - check out my vegan pizza dough recipe).
Storing the Pumpkin Sage Page
This sauce will keep up to 4 days in the fridge in an air tight container. I use Ello containers for mine!
Did you make this pasta?
I am so happy you did! Please lave me a review below and tag me on social media (@peachhtreee). This encourages me for the future!
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Sage Pasta
- ½ lb pasta
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree plus 2 tbsp
- ½ cup reserved pasta water depending on how thick you’d like it
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ medium shallot diced
- 2 ½ tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and Pepper for taste.
- Vegan parm optional
- Cook pasta according to package. Be sure to reserve the water.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, add vegan butter to a pan and heat over medium heat.
- Once vegan butter is melted, add shallot and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in pumpkin puree and the pasta water (start with ½ cup). Mix well.
- Add in the cream cheese, allowing it to heat up and mix it well so it is well combined in the pumpkin sauce. You may need to use a whisk. If it is too thick, add in the extra water.
- Add in sage, mix and lower the temperature.
- Place pasta into the sauce mixture and toss it so it is well coated. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Option to top with vegan parm!